Friday, August 19, 2011

First day back...

Today I went back to school for a New Teacher meeting, even though I'm technically not new. The meeting was fine, no big deal, I went to my room after to see ALL my furniture was on the carpet and they cleaned my nasty tile! WOOHOO! Then I start looking through boxes that I have no idea where they came from and I've got new books OH YAH!!! I have science and social studies books! I didn't have that last year! WOOOO!
Now for a little tearjerker... I went to Michael's to pick up some last minute things and I started talking to the cashier. He was giving me my teacher discount when he said "I used to be a teacher." I asked him why he's working at Michael's if he was once a teacher and he told me he got into a really bad car accident that gave him extreme brain damage and he can no longer be a teacher. He seemed fairly young, maybe late 20s early 30s. It was really sad to hear. He said after his accident they expected him to be a vegetable because of the severity of his brain damage. After all of that he finished with "but at least I wake up and open my eyes every day." It was so touching that he could turn such an unfortunate event into something so positive. He was a nice guy and I feel bad for him, but it's nice to know he doesn't feel bad for himself. He's happy he gets up, he has a job (though not his dream job of course) and he can stand on his own two feet, open his mouth and speak, use his hands, and open his eyes in the morning. What an inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment